Friday 2 August 2013

Sunny summer illustrations

I love this book by John Burningham. It was first published in 1969 and the illustrations are typical of the time. Plenty of vivid colour washes and textural effects created from thick paint, ink and crayon.


 

I thought I'd show you the summer pictures as they perfectly depict the weather we've been having here in the Lake District during July.

 
Peaceful countryside and a pink holiday cottage. What could be nicer!


Love the misty heat haze over the water.


I can empathise with the poor fellow below! Flying insects of the bite or sting variety always seem to head in my direction.


Taking time off for some light refreshment. Much the best occupation for hot days.


And this is exactly how our spell of intense summer heat ended.
Quick, run for cover! But remember not to shelter under a tree!


And that takes me nicely to my new blog Sheltered by Trees (but not in a thunderstorm). This week I announce the winner of last week's giveaway. I'm also taking you to Wray Castle where Beatrix Potter spent a holiday in 1882. It was much too sunny to look inside the castle so we spend a little time walking to the lake shore.

Wray Castle in the Lake District


Enjoy your weekend everyone.